PiBoy Build Log - Part 3 - OS
Had a few issues while trying to use the easy install, so decided to cook it from 'scratch'
So with the typical images I had nothing but issues;
PiGrrl: Controls couldn't be edited, wifi wouldn't work on my Pi Zero
PiTFT Easy Install: Old Kernel, wifi wouldnt work
So I decided to get Jessie light and go from there. but for whatever reason my hdmi port wasn't working on my Pi0 W (works fine on my Pi0), anyway!
- Download and flash jessie light image to SD card
- open the SD card on your PC
- add this line to config.txt:
- add this entry to cmdline.txt (after rootwait):
- create a file called ssh (no extension)
- Put the SD card into the Pi and plug it into the PC, wait for boot to complete (90 secs)
- Fire up PuTTY on your PC and connect to raspberrypi.local
- login as pi, raspberry
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
- add the following text:
ssid="YOUR WIFI NAME"
psk="YOUR WIFI PASSW"
Updates & PiTFT
- reconnect to SSH session once pi has finished rebooting
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/pitft-fbcp.sh
sudo bash pitft-fbcp.sh
- Do the manual setup, it's easy (promise).
- That'll then prompt you to reboot
- You should now have PiTFT + WiFi working.
- reconnect to SSH again
- confirm language settings:
sudo update-locale LC_all="en_GB.UTF-8"
sudo update-locale LANGUAGE="en_GB.UTF-8"
- Get RetroPie installer
sudo apt-get install git lsb-release
git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup.git
chmod +x retropie_setup.sh
- Wait for it to load and choose basic install
- after that go to configuration and autostart, set emulationstation to boot on startup
- you can make other changes here, I got the the minilumi theme enabled samba shares
- finally, perform reboot
Done! Pi Zero + PiTFT + WiFi
I've made an image with all the steps above, it's targeted for a 30gb sd card though, blame rasbian for auto resizing :)
RetroPie manual install: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Manual-Installation/